Saturday, October 08, 2005

No Sex Offenders Here

Not long ago a website of sex offenders in the U.S. was forwarded to me. Out of curiosity (and being nosy) I tried it out. It asked you to key in your home address and it would elaborate itself into a map of your community with little symbols as to where the sex offenders resided. One that was .83 miles from me happened to be across the street from a grammar school. And one was less than a half mile from me was next door to a middle school.
I forwarded the site to a friend who could not get it to work, because he used Webtv. However, he did find the GBI website on sex offenders and sent it to me. On that site you key in the zip code you are interested in and it would tell you of the people in that zip code, their names and pictures, and their offenses. I got to see somebody I was in high school with. In his mug shot he was showing his age.
However, I noticed that the two that I mentioned above that was pointed out on the U.S. sex offender's site were not on the GBI site. Shouldn't the two be the same?
There must be an accounting flaw here.
I don't know, but this is what I speculate. On my daily walks I noticed about a half year ago the house across from the grammar school changed hands. A middle age couple moved out and a younger couple moved in. The middle age couple loved yard work. The younger couple sort of concentrated on other things, like they had dirt motor bike. But from which couple was the sex offender? I think possibly the law states that sex offenders must register when they move into a community. But does the same law require them to de-register when they move out? Or even if it is a requirement to inform the autorities to when you move out, are the people who input the data see the importance of keeping the minuses as updated as the additions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home