Tuesday, December 04, 2012

My Hunter Genealogy continued to John Hunter



I told you about Jason Henderson Hunter, lover and father of many.  Now, I will tell you what little I know about John Hunter (c1775-1848).

John Hunter was born in North Carolina, either in Burke or Buncombe County.  On one census he stated he was born in Virginia.  I think it may have been a clerical error.  We do not know who John's wife was.  Several people all have different names.  I have Polly Edwards.

Whomever his wife was, she and John had eight children.  His principle occupation was distilling; making whiskey.  When North Carolina imposed a tax he moved to Union County, Georgia.

One story handed down that John and his sons fought the Indians, made whiskey, and built the cabin they lived in.

I think maybe "fighting the Indians" might mean they help round them for the "Trail of Tears".  John's sons Jason and Andrew were soldiers on the Removal of the Indians to Oklahoma.

Above is a postcard pictue of John's cabin.  On the back of the card John's son-in-law Daniel England is given credit for building the cabin.  After John died Daniel and Peggy Hunter England moved in the cabin with Peggy's sister Margaret, who was already living there as John's caregiver.

I think the land then might have been raw unclaimed land and Daniel was the first to register the deed for the property.

I have been in that cabin several times and according to today's standard of living, it must have been very crowded. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home