Saturday, April 21, 2018

Hunter House






This house has been the home of generations of Hunters for well over a hundred years.  It is located in the Choestoe District, not far from Vogel State Park, Union County, Georgia.  

I have been a visitor there several times.  Actually, the times I visited it the house was not lived in, but whoever the current Hunter residents were, lived in an adjoining double-wide trailer.

When Austine Hunter Wallace’s father Jess Hunter lived there she pointed out bullet holes near the staircase.  She said it was a result of a Hunter family ruckus generations ago.  She said she was leaving the bullet holes there for historical purposes.

Jess Hunter died weeks after my first visit.  Austine died about 25 years later.  On a visit after that I wanted to photograph the bullet holes.  Austine’s brother, Charles Hunter told me to he hired a professional restorer to make it comply with official historical requirements and the guy covered up the bullet holes.   Damn!


The cornfield in the front yard I think is leased out every growing season.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home