Thursday, December 15, 2005

Bonaventure Cemetery, Savannah, Ga


The Johnny Mercy Family Plot


If you ever go to Savannah and want to see a creepy old cemetery with hanging Spanish moss in the ancient bent trees and glorious tombstones, ask for directions for Bonaventure Cemetery.

Bonaventure Cemetery is only a few miles outside of town on the edge of the Wilmington River. Back many years ago before it was a cemetery it was a rice plantation.

I visited the cemetery two days in a row last February and tried to view each marker and was impressed with the vastness of the huge cemetery. I think I read it is about 400 acres.

I found several surnames I am researching and two of those were relatives I found out later.

Overlooking the Wilmington River, which probably flows into the Savannah River or the Atlantic, when I was there, had dolphins playing out in the blue waters. I did not know they navigated themselves in rivers, but there they were.

I hope to visit Bonaventure again. And if you visit you will see it is full of sights that you will remember until it is your cemetery time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home