Thursday, October 25, 2012

Me and Al Feldstein (Editor of MAD)




Yesterday in the Postal mail I received a package from my old friend Pappy.  Pappy and I go back years.  We have never met face to face, but we have a common admiration:  MAD comicbook and the artists and editor who created the package.  We have communicated for years sharing stuff.  Pappy had more knowledge and copies to share than I.  He got the short end of our sharing.

Pappy also has a great blog about comicbooks.  Check it out and you will see why it has had over a million visitors:

http://pappysgoldenage.blogspot.com/

I couldn't wait to rip the envelope open to see what was inside.  It was a big envelope and on the outside it said "Do Not Bend."

I opened it and it was an 8x10 picture of Al Feldstein and I at the Atlanta Dragon Con back around the year 2000 or 2001.  Al was editor of MAD magazine after editor/creator Harvey Kurtzman was fired when he demanded something like 51% of EC stock. 

Al was the editor of most other EC comics and wrote just about every story  in the horror and science fiction titles.  He has a very creative mind.  I just didn't think it was all that witty compared to Kurtzman's.

I remember our indept conversation about MAD well:

Me:  I like MAD.
Al:    I was the editor of MAD for 30 years.
Me:  I like MAD.
Al:    I retired, bought some land in Montana, and moved there and now I
         paint western landscaptes.
Me:   I like MAD.
Al:   Do you want your son to take our picture together?
Me:   I like MAD.

click!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Pappy said...

Eddie, the date on the back of that snapshot you sent me of you and Feldstein is 6/22/96.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Pappy said...

Eddie, the date on the back of that snapshot you sent me of you and Feldstein is 6/22/96.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Pappy, I think I made a mistake with the date. I am basing it on the fact that Skip Williamson gave me two tickets for the DragonCon. And the fact that when Bluto came to visit just about 2 months after the 9/11 incident we visited Skip, which was Novemeber 2001. I don't remember running around with Skip that long. Maybe as long as 3 years. Beside, I think Dragoncon is on Memorial Day every year - it looks like I had something else on my mind when I wrote that date.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home