Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How Do You Get To Carnegie Hall?

There is the old joke where a gentleman walks up to a beatnik and asks the above question.  He replies, "Practice man, practice."

On this day in history, January 16, 1942, Benny Goodman and his Orchestra first played in Carnegie Hall.

I made my grand entrance in Carngie in 1963.  I didn't practice very much and as a matter fact can't play an instrument.  I did it the old fashion way, by buying a ticket.  It was a folk song night at Carnegie Hall.  I think quiet a few players from the early folk music entertained, but the only performer I remember was Johnny Cash, who I didn't think could be called a folk singer in any form or fashion.

A group from our Naval base in Lakehurst, New Jersey went up to see the folk music.  We were just getting to like folk type of music like Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Peter Paul, and Mary and so on.  We were still folk music appreaciator trainees, or folk music novices.  Johnny Cash billed as a folk singer?  That was very early in his career and I suppose was up for grabs to any genre that would take him.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home