Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Two Statues





The above state is Rodin’s THE SHADE.  It was given from France  to the Atlanta Arts Association in condolence of the 106 Atlanta art patrons' plane crash near Paris in 1962.  I took this picture when it was on Peachtree Street in front of the High Museum  It may still be there, I haven’t check lately.  

When I first saw it, it was in the lobby of the performing arts theater.  I think Anna and my old Navy buddy Don Lash was with us.  Don and Anna wandered off to see more exhibits and I stayed looking at it.   Then I looked up and saw another person admiring the statue and I recognized her immediately.  It was Coretta Scott King.  I tried to think of something impressive to say to her.  I couldn’t.  I considered telling her that a guy in my Naval Reserve Squadron, his parents were killed in the wreck I think they owned Darby Printing Company.  Then I thought to tell her I liked the work her an her husband did/doing.  No, that would sound pretentious.   

If I ran into her some 20 years later I could tell her that I was co-workers with her niece Debbie at the Post Office and one time considered telling her brother (Debbie’s father) he was in an unauthorized area – but that hasn’t  happened yet.

I left speechless and caught up Don and Anna.  Don was afraid I woulf say crude or embarrassing..  I couldn’t have because I didn’t speak. 








This is a statue of Senator Alexander Stephens Clay (1853-1910).  

Every southern down has to have a statue, I think it is mandatory. 
  The Clay dynasty home was on the corner of Atlanta and Alexander Streets (I just realized why Alexander Street is named Alexander Street).   When Tony Hester and I walked home from Waterman Street School, we walked by the Clay house.  Sometimes, if Tony Hester had the urge he would take a shit behind their gloriously trimmed bushes.

There are regulations  where a statue of a general, soldier, or politician should be facing:  Like a military man would have the town center behind, so he be on guard to defend it.  Maybe an elected politician would be facing the city center, as lovingly. 
I’m not sure if whoever is in charge of moving Alexander’s statue has read the regulations.  Now he is facing the courthouse, which might be coincidental.  Other times he has faced Atlanta Street (his house), and another time some other direction. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home